Don’t skimp on great laundry detergent. Our top picks are affordable, eco-friendly, and stain-eliminating—and they’re designed for sensitive skin, too.
BobVila.com and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
It’s easy to be overwhelmed by the selection of products claiming stain-removing, odor-busting, laundry-cleaning power. But which laundry detergents prove their mettle when tested against what’s in your laundry basket?
Detergents are more than just soap. They contain special ingredients that play a role in color fastness, stain removal, and deodorizing. Fortunately, you don’t need to skimp on quality to get an affordable, eco-friendly, and effective detergent that won’t harm your clothes, your health, or the planet.
Ahead, we’ll explore the different types of detergents on the market, dive into the factors you should weigh before buying, and highlight five of our top favorite picks among the best laundry detergent options available today.
- BEST OVERALL: Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent Packs
- BEST LIQUID DETERGENT: Persil ProClean Sensitive Skin Laundry Detergent
- BEST POWDER DETERGENT: Molly’s Suds Original Laundry Detergent Powder
- BEST STAIN REMOVER: Tide PODS Free and Gentle Laundry Detergent
- MOST ECO-FRIENDLY: Tru Earth Eco-Strips Laundry Detergent